While bouts of stress are difficult to avoid completely; chronic, constant stress can take a serious toll on our lives and have a ripple effect on our families. There are however some foods that have stress relieving qualities.
- Swiss chard – magnesium plays an important role in your body’s stress responses and this green leafy vegetable contains about 30% of your recommended daily intake.
- Sweet potato – eating whole nutrient dense carbs such as sweet potato can significantly lower levels of salivary cortisol (the stress hormone).
- Kefir Milk/Sour Dough – research suggests that eating fermented foods such as Kefir, Sour Dough Bread or Kimchi (cabbage and radish) can significantly reduce stress and anxiety due to their probiotics.
- Liver and kidney – and other organ meats are full of B vitamins, especially B12, B6, riboflavin, and folate, which are essential for stress control. B vitamins are responsible for the neurotransmitters hormones such as serotonin and dopamine.
- Eggs- are often referred to as nature’s multi vitamin because they are packed full of nutrients and play a role in brain health and reducing stress levels.
- Shell fish – contains amino acids in abundance which contain mood boosting properties.